Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving Recap

This year, I once again took the helm to cook the feast for the masses. Cooking for 10 really doesn't phase me since I cook for that many whenever we have a family dinner anyway.

That doesn't stop me from cooking for 20, though. The best part about Thanksgiving is the leftovers!

The night before, I cooked up some of the dishes that could be served chilled or warmed up in the oven while the turkeys was resting and being carved. I also baked the pies and set the table to make sure that I had the necessary dishes and space.

Getting the table together

My grandma made the place holders ages ago, so we use them every year.

Here are my pecan pies. Tip: mix together about a cup of pecans into the mixture and pour into the crust, then place pcans on top so that the sugary mix doesn't singe on the top layer.
The pumpkin pies getting their bake on. Tip: put foil around the edges to keep the crust from burning and place on a baking sheet to make getting the liquid pie into the oven without spilling.


The up close of one of my designs

The day of making the gravy with my grandma, my cousin, and me. It's three generations since my cousin is my cousin's daughter.

The centerpiece. Well, the Jennie-O Oven Ready Turkey is amazing. You don't have to thaw it at all. Although the skin was singed from the oven bag, I peel it off anyway.

The bountiful feast! There's rolls, cranberry sauce, candied sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, turkey, stuffing, Watergate salad, gravy,  and relish trays. We added an occasional table to the mix for the over flow.


The whole famn damily.
I am now ready to get to attacking that store room again and get some of the decorations that no one uses out the door to other family members or donate it. Next up on the cooking extravaganza will be Christmas! But then again, that's like Thanksgiving, but with Prime Rib, so I've got it in the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment