Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Recent and Summer Reading List

I know that I've been reading a lot of books that people have already read, but since I'm enjoying them non gratis from the library, I don't exactly jump at the new releases.

However, I have managed to get through several books on my trips to and from work on the train and on the elliptical at the gym.

Here are my recent reads:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I finally decided to pick up the "Millennium Series" after hearing so much about it from others who have read it and based on the fact that the author is earning beaucoup bucks post-mortem. I will say that the subject matter is heavy and is not a fast and light easy read. It would not be made into a movie for TV...it would be rated R and in a theater. But I would go see it.

The Girl that Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
The second book in the Millennium Series picks up where the Dragon Tattoo left off. Again, there's intrigue and grisly detail, but overall it's a page turner because you want to find out what is going on.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
This is the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Riordan. It was made into a movie that I haven't seen, and I'm not sure that I want to since my mind's eye has already painted a picture. Except that didn't keep me from seeing HP and Twilight, so I will probably rent it or watch it OnDemand. I love Greek mythology, so to place a modern twist to demigods, gods, and titans duking it out in my world it makes a whimsical escape and a quick read.

The Rainmaker by John Grisham
I know that this one is a moldy oldie and Matt Damon stars in the movie version. Which influenced my imagination, but not the whole book. I can always read a Grisham novel because there are always twists and turns with every little puzzle piece falling into place at the end.

Succubus on Top by Richelle Mead
This is like Twilight mixed with a romance novel. Basically, take where your mind went when you read the Twilight series and this goes there. Not for adolescents and definitely not something I would bring to the office, but with the miracle of the nook, no one knows what I am reading. This is the second book in the Georgina Kincaid series. (I read the first awhile back and finally got around to adding it into the rotation.)

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
This beast (literally, it's 783 pages) is what inspired the HBO series of the same name. The detail of the authors words paints a great picture and supplements my obsession to the series on TV. The series actually makes the book easier to read because you know how to pronounce the names and the map in the opening sequence is a great reference point. I'm not sure that I can finish this in 14 days, but I think that for 783 pages, it's economical to buy for the nook to have to read at my leisure.

Next up on my reading list:

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
This is the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series from Riordan. Given my taste for quick reads and Greek mythology, it seems a natural step.

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
This is the third book in the Robert Langdon series which includes the ever popular Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code.

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
This is the second book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I have to say, I want to see how this series keeps going.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
The third and final book of the Millennium Series trilogy. I want to get through this before vacation since it's a little heavier on the material.

If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster
I don't know why I keep holding off on reading my favorite author. I think I'm afraid of not having anything else to hold me over. That, and I want to be getting what Jen calls "homeless tan" while reading it.

Succubus Dreams by Richelle Mead
It's the third in the series, so I figure why not keep it going. And it's a guilty pleasure.

Anyone have anymore titles that I should get into? I'm not adverse to purchasing books, but I'm a little more into the whole free thing from the library.

Oh, and I'll cut you off at the Emily Griffith and Shopaholic series. I'm not a fan. Don't hate, I'm just putting it out there.

5 comments:

  1. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Its got vampires, daemons, and witches. It involves historians and scientists and it takes place in England, France, and Massachusetts. And theres time travel and its awesome! It is also pretty thick, but totally worth it. However, it is the first in a series and the second installment is not due until late summer 2012 so don't expect to feel satisfied when its over, just know I'll be here to commiserate with you about the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely a fan of Dan Brown and Jen Lancaster, both great authors! I'll need to check out The Lost Symbol as well. I've read a lot of Susan Wiggs lately, not sure if you'd like her books. What about Water for Elephants that everyone is raving about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Percy Jackson! Read them all before staring the Lost Hero series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I hated the shopaholic series too!! I'm reading Played with Fire right now and I must say that I'm really liking it! It's a much faster read than the first. Can't remember... Have you read The Help and Hunger Games series that eeeeveryone loves (me included :-))?

    ReplyDelete