Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Domestic Diva: Part II

For the holidays, I like to get my teammates something nice. This year, I opted for all those Christmas goodies that come but once a year. I also wanted to get in touch with inner Paula Deen and Martha Stewart. While I didn't make any of their recipes, I channel my Domestic Diva.

For their sugar rush, I made them all of the following delicious recipes:

My assembly line...Buckeyes, Chocolate Dipped Pretzels, Peppermint Bark, Fudge, and Muddy Buddies.


Buckeyes
     To prepare: Don’t tell people that there is paraffin wax. They’ll be biased against it and the    chocolate doesn’t adhere as well.
Ingredients
Directions
1 stick butter, melted
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 ½ c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
12 oz. chocolate chips
½ brick parawax (found in canning section)


         Mix butter, powdered sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla together.
·         Roll batter into 1” balls and arrange on lined baking sheet.
·         Freeze balls for at least 2 hours.
·         In double-boiler, mix chocolate chips and wax, melt over medium heat until smooth.
·         Using a toothpick, dip balls into chocolate leaving small area at top for the buckeye.
·         Cool.
·         Store in fridge or freezer.
Makes 8 dozen.
Buckeyes

Since I had lots of chocolate left over from dipping the buckeyes, I decided to dip the pretzel sticks I had in the pantry, too.

Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Sticks
For Peppermint Bark, I don't really use a recipe. I melt some good (Ghiradelli) dark chocolate in a double boiler, then pour onto a lined cookie sheet. I have that cool in the fridge, then melt the white chocolate. (Adding a drop or two of peppermint flavoring for a punch. Then I pour the white chocolate over the top of the dark chocolate and sprinkle with crushed up candy canes. Voila! Peppermint Bark!
Peppermint Bark
For Muddy Buddies, I wanted to make something that I only really get around Christmas time. My best friend's mom always makes it this time of year and she always makes me a little.


Muddy Buddies
     To prepare: A great snack that you can make in 15 minutes…just don’t wear black.

Ingredients
Directions
9 c. Chex (1 box)
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ c. peanut butter
¼ c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ c. powdered sugar


·         In bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered for 1 minute.
·         Stir and microwave for 30 second intervals until smooth.
·         Stir in vanilla.
·         Pour mixture over cereal and stir.
·         Once the cereal is coated, pour into gallon-sized Ziploc bag.
·         Pour in powdered sugar, seal bag, and mix the bag to coat the pieces.
·         Spread onto waxed paper to cool.
Makes 9 cups.
Chex Muddy Buddies
 
Fudge
     To prepare: Melt in your mouth fudge that’s easy to make.

Ingredients
Directions
3 c. sugar
1 ½ sticks butter, room temperature
5 oz. evaporated milk
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 jar marshmallow crème
1 tsp. vanilla

·         Line cookie sheet with waxed paper, set aside.
·         In large saucepan, mix sugar, butter, and evaporated milk.
·         Bring to a full and rolling over medium heat.
·         Stirring constantly for 12 minutes.
·         Remove from heat.
·         Add chocolate, marshmallow crème, and vanilla.
·         Mix well.
·         Pour immediately into lined baking sheet.
·         Chill at least 2 hours.
Makes 3 pounds.


I didn't take a picture of the fudge...I think that it would look weird as a swirling mass of chocolate wouldn't photograph well, but it's wrapped in waxed paper in the final product!
The finished product in a cute plastic tub that only cost $1.49!
I will post more about the daunting task of Christmas dinner as it nears and I have finalized the menu. So far, we've got ham as the main dish, so talk amongst yourselves and post ideas for me for the side dishes and embellishments....oh crap. I just realized I haven't even thought about dessert for the blessed day. oy.

OK, so please please please post your ideas for Christmas desserts. Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment