Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hair-Spiration

I have a haircut and color schedule for this weekend. I've never been one to go more than 6 weeks without a touch up, a trim, something. I like change when it comes to my hair. I have been brunette, auburn, blonde, platinum blonde, and now I'm somewhere in the natural-looking, golden blonde category.

I have been maintaining the blonde with John Frieda's Go Blonder Shampoo & Conditioner and root touch up with Go Blonder Lightening Spray.

All amazing. Love my color, but it's a lot to make sure that I cover my roots after every shower and, to make the effect really work, to blow dry and flat iron my hair since the heat makes it work better. I don't have the time or concentration for shenanigans like that. Hell, the fact that I would be washing my hair everyday is a stretch just to get my roots light enough. (Do get grody on me. I make sure that my hair doesn't look nasty and smell. Ask your stylist, you're not supposed to wash it that often.) But really, the color has grown out nicely. That is, until I pull back my hair into a pony tail.

If I leave a part in my hair, it stays blonde for the most part, but when I'm working out, I twist back my bangs and other shorty hairs around my face. (I already have enough trouble just getting to the gym, no need to add aggravation to the situation with hair on my sweaty face. Hate that.)

Anyway, I plan on getting some touch up at the roots with "all over" color or putting foils around my face to help the brunette growth hiding with my hair pulled back.

Now, onto the length. Y'all, this is the longest my hair has been since I was 12. How do I know that? I was in DC (the last time I was here before moving) and posed for a picture with Lincoln's actual height. My ends looked so dead from the collarbone down, I chopped it off. I wish I could find that picture. But then again, I was awkward, sweaty and didn't know how to do hair. Maybe it's best kept an illusion.

I digress.

My hair is in need of a trim and shape up. It styles, but not that great. It looks OK, but not that great. I need some help to make sure that as it keeps growing, I don't look like an asshat.

Here are my style and color hair-spirations for my appointment. I love Reese's color and styling, but really love the grown out graduated bob from Kate at The Small Things for my cut.

Time out.
Go to The Small Things because she has video tutorials about hair styling and an explanation about her hair. Love.
Time in.



















I will tell my stylist that I live for pony tails and keeping my hair back, so I won't go as short with the layers. I know that hair will grow, but I'll be cursing the scissors until it grows long enough to pull back without bobby pins. I'm even debating bangs. The grown out grouping I have now is easily twisted back, so I could deal, but it's a fine line.

I'll post some before and afters on Saturday (OK, who am I kidding. I'll post them on Sunday. Or next week. You'll be living in suspense, I know it.)

Also, I need to get some shout outs:

Shannon at Life After I "Dew" hooked me with with Reese's pin on Pinterest and Kate at The Small Things.

Sarah at Classy & Fabulous for reminding me that I need to profess my love of pony tails to my stylist.

and

Megs at Deviled Megs for hooking me up with a stylist in DC. It's scary out there to go to someone new. (I don't have the patience to wait for my next trip to Denver since I'm not sure when that will be.)

What's your hair-spiration?

3 comments:

  1. Live and die by the pony. There is no other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cut my hair super short (8 inches off) and I love it. For me, it's much easier to maintain, but the whole process is so scary! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah good luck with your hair! i finally just colored my dark because i couldn't afford getting it highlighted all the time to stay the color i wanted! so more power to you!

    [i popped over from hello miss chelsea! i live in DC too. so i always love seeing other dc bloggers!]

    ReplyDelete